With the new online services for agents some functions have changed a little. One of these is the way activity statement authorisation works.
An authorised tax agent and BAS agent can now both have access to the activity statement accounts for the same client.
In the previous ATO tax and BAS portals, only one agent could have access to a client’s activity statement accounts at any time.
With the new online services, authorisations have been purposely redesigned so that both a tax agent and a BAS agent can access the same activity statement accounts.
When tax agents have access to the income tax account, this automatically gives them access to all forms and authorisations for that client.
BAS agents can access the activity statement account without affecting the access of the tax agent to the same account.
Client Update in GovReports
If you do not have authorisation for activity statement purposes, when you try to lodge an activity statement you will receive an error message. This can be quickly updated within GovReports without needing to go to the ATO online services.
- Once you are logged in to GovReports, go to My Clients.
- Select the relevant client.
- From ATO Services menu at the top right, select Client Update.
- Select the tick box Activity Statement purposes.
- Select Add.
- You will receive a message confirming this update has been accepted. Print the report for your records.
ATO Authorisation for All Agents
You can also check and update your authorisations from the ATO Online services account.
- From the home page, access the relevant client from either your Favourite clients list or from View client list.
- Once in the client’s summary page, go to Profile then Maintain authorisations.
- Select the relevant authorisation for your tax practitioner type.
- Tax agents do not need to select Activity statement accounts as well. This is a duplication of authorisation, as the Income tax authorisation already grants access to activity statement accounts.
- Tax agents do not need to deselect BAS agents from activity statement accounts in order to access these accounts.
- BAS agents can deselect a tax agent from Activity statement authorisation without affecting their access to activity statements.
The Income tax authorisation allows tax agents access to all accounts linked to a client’s ABN. When a BAS agent is appointed to act on behalf of a client, they select the appropriate authorisation to access Activity statement accounts. This does not affect the tax agent’s access.
We love the new functionality allowing activity statement access for all agents!